Description of the test
RT-qPCR to determine the Influenza B lineage (Yamagata or Victoria).
Purpose of the test
Determination of the lineage (Yamagata or Victoria) of Influenza B.
Criteria for conducting this test under the reference activities
Confirmation of a positive or undetermined result for influenza.
First line diagnosis in case of:
- Severe acute respiratory infection (SARI) with ARDS, ECMO or death
- Influenza syndrome after influenza vaccination (possible case of “vaccine failure”)
- Suspicion of antiviral resistance
- Influenza syndrome upon return from abroad
Instructions for samples
- nasopharyngeal swab
- bronchial aspirate
- broncho-alveolar lavage liquid.
Use a sterile tube with VTM (virus transport medium).
Minimal quantity: 500 µl.
Samples should be stored refrigerated (2-8°C, if <24h) before shipment.
In case of shipment > 24h, store at -20°C or -70°C.
Instructions for transport
Samples stored at 2-8°C can be transported at room temperature.
Samples stored at -20°C or -70°C should be transported on dry ice.
Transport time should be as short as possible (avoid transport during weekends and official holidays).
Transport samples using a hermetically closed recipient, triple packaging.
The test analysis will not be performed in case of:
- Insufficient or inappropriate sample
- Inappropriate storage or transport
- Uncompleted request form
- Request not compliant with the criteria
Samples are stored during a maximum period of 1 year for other testing (re-test), if sufficient sample is available.
Reporting of test results
A report is sent by LIMS using e-mail, fax or regular post.