The use of a condom is essential to protect yourself and your partners against STDs. If you have any concerns, you should have an STD screening test. In the event of an infection, make sure you follow the correct treatment and inform your sexual partners.
Gonorrhoea in Belgium
According to Sciensano :
- gonorrhea has been seeing a continuing upward trend since 2002
- in Belgium the incidence has risen from 2.8 cases per 100,000 inhabitants in 2002 to 10.2 cases per 100,000 in habitants in 2014
- en 2014, 1,144 cases of gonorrhea were diagnosed (50 cases per 100,000 inhabitants)
- young people aged between 20 and 30 are most affected, with 308 cases in men and 135 in women
- in 2013, ⅔ patients affected by a Chlamydia or gonorrhoea infection were diagnosed without having reported any complaint or symptom.
Please note! These statistics are subject to change. Consult Epistat.
Gonorrhoea in Europe
According to the European center for disease prevention anc control (ECDC), in 2013:
- 52,995 cases of gonorrhea were diagnosed in Europe (28 EU countries), that is an incidence of 17 cases per 100 000 inhabitants
- gonorrhea was diagnosed 3 times more frequently in men with an incidence of 29 cases diagnosed per 100,000 men and 9.7 per 100,000 women
- young adults represent 39% of diagnosed cases
- men who have sexual relations with other men (MSM) represent 43% of all cases diagnosed in 2013
- since 2008, the number of cases of gonorrhea per 100,000 inhabitants has increased by 79%.