- Qualitative (negative, equivocal, positive)
- In case of equivocal result, a follow-up sample will be requested.
- This test is not accredited.
Purpose of the test
Detection of IgM antibodies directed against Measles virus in saliva by ELISA.
Criteria for conducting this test under the reference activities
- Diagnosis of a case with clinical indications.
No epidemiological or clinical indications of Measles infection or outbreak.
Instructions for samples
- Type: Saliva (via Oracol® collection device, can be ordered from the NRC via LMM@sciensano.be)
- Sample collection: at the earliest 3 days after rash onset. The concentration peaks on day 7-10 after the onset of the rash and the presence of the antibodies is detectable for up to 6-8 weeks after the rash.
- Storage conditions: Store samples at 4°C before shipment
- Minimum volume: 0.5 ml
Instructions for transportation
Ship in a triple-wrapped package at room temperature.
Turn around time
4 business days
Communication of test results
The result can be communicated via mail, fax, email and eHealth.
A positive result will also be reported to your region’s health inspector.