Service(s) working on this project
Sciensano's project investigator(s):
Hand hygiene compliance by healthcare professionals is recognized as the most important factor in preventing the transmission of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) among patients. Sciensano has organized hand hygiene campaigns in Belgian hospitals (in collaboration with other stakeholders) since 2005 in order to raise awareness of good practice among staff, patients and visitors, and to promote the use of hydro-alcoholic solutions on the hands.
“You are in good hands”
Every two years, the hand-hygiene campaign focuses on a specific message, taking into account the findings of the previous campaign. The measurement of hand hygiene compliance is coordinated by the hospital hygiene teams of participating hospitals through direct observation, using a standardized grid. The planning of the campaigns takes place over three timeframes:
- one month for the pre-campaign observation measurements
- one month for the awareness-raising campaign
- one month for post-campaign measurements.
Hand hygiene opportunities are measured and the actual hand hygiene times are recorded as follows:
- hand hygiene with hydro-alcoholic solution
- hand hygiene with soap and water
- no hand hygiene.
The measurement used is therefore the number of hand hygiene actions observed divided by the number of hand hygiene opportunities (situations in which hand-hygiene should be performed).
Participating in the hand hygiene campaign as a hospital
In December 2021, Sciensano produced a new on-line model for hospitals in Belgium and Luxembourg, HD4DP 2.0 (‘Healthdata for Data Providers’) to collect individual or aggregate data, with the possibility of generating feedback in real time. This software is installed in the hospital and is accessible via web browser.
HD4DP 2.0 was designed to facilitate continuous hand hygiene measurement locally and independently of national campaigns.
This means you can use this application either in the context of national hand-hygiene campaigns as well as independently for your own local use.
The application provides real-time feedback on your individual local data.
This will enable you to track your own hand-hygiene compliance data.
You will also be able to compare your performance with the national average published in the National Hand Hygiene Campaign Report.
The campaign materials for the awareness-raising phase are automatically sent to hospitals that sign up to participate in the national campaign. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by Mail. You can also download all the materials from the Hand Hygiene website.
You can find all the results of the hand hygiene campaigns in our national reports:
- Results of the 8th national hand hygiene promotion campaign(2018-2019)
- Results of the 7th National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2016-2017)
- Results of the 6th National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2015)
- Results of the 5th National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2013)
- Results of the 4th National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2010-2011)
- Results of the 3rd National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2008-2009)
- Results of the 2nd National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2006-2007)
- Results of the 1st National Hand Hygiene Promotion Campaign(2005)