The COVID-19 pandemic has led governments to take drastic and unprecedented measures to curb the spread of the virus. While these measures have a major impact on the population as a whole, there are indications that some groups are more affected than others. RESISTIRÉ provides evidence on the potential negative impacts of the pandemic on inequalities, with a specific focus on gendered inequalities intersected with other vulnerabilities. It also develops co-creative solutions to an inclusive recovery.
The overall objectives of RESISTIRÉ are :
- to understand the unequal impact of COVID-19 outbreak and its policy responses on behavioural, social and economic inequalities in 30 countries (EU27 + Serbia, Turkey, UK) based on a gender+ framework
- design, devise and pilot solutions and social innovations to be deployed by policymakers, stakeholders and actors in different policy domains of the European Commission’s Gender Equality Strategy 2020-25 and the Beijing Platform.
RESISTIRÉ has a three-cycle approach, combining quantitative and qualitative research with co-creation. Each cycle, of 6 to 8 months, integrates the insights from the previous one and produces operational results that feed the next cycle. Each cycle involves the following activities (between brackets the corresponding work package):
- a mapping of policy and societal responses to COVID-19 (WP2)
- a quantitative analysis of secondary survey data to measure inequalities, both at the European level and at the national level (WP3)
- a qualitative analysis of data collected in workshops with civil society, interviews with public authorities, and individual narratives from precarious and vulnerable groups (WP4)
- development of adequate responses and operational tools from a holistic perspective, with a co-design approach (Open Studios) involving multiple stakeholders, with recommendations for actions for policymakers, stakeholders and actors in the field (WP5)
- launch of pilot actions to demonstrate the potential impact of a range of proposed solutions (WP6).
- dissemination of knowledge, development of policy recommendations and empowerment of stakeholders to exploit project results (WP7)
RESISTIRÉ has a three-cycle approach, each cycle follows the same structure :